Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Crash & Burn

So I’ve got some bad news for all of you avid followers (2) and my casual readers (all the rest of you). Sometimes my life is really boring, sometimes I get really busy, and sometimes there are stories that I want to tell but to protect the individuals involved I do not let all of you know. These scenarios all may result in a lame blog post or perhaps no posting at all.

Today all of the above three scenarios are true.

But, this blog is too young and my confidence is so needing the extra boost, that I am going to try and give everyone a good (or at least halfway decent) blog post. I will do this even if it means the individual that this is centered around will be humiliated, embarrassed and considered by readers to be an idiot.

Especially since that individual is me.

I was at work Friday (yes, I work. Spoiler Alert), and our new VOIP system showed that I had a voicemail, which obviously I wanted to check. Unfortunately, when I entered the default information provided, it wouldn’t let me in. I submitted this problem to the IT Service Desk and they responded later that day. I told them it could be a user error, but that I couldn’t check my voicemail. I explained it to them; they tried various things and had me attempt to enter my voicemail box with no success. I spent about an hour with them, on the phone, before they were leaving for the weekend.

Promptly on Monday morning they called me again, we tried again. I told them I entered the code and pressed pound and then it sent me to a generic directory. They couldn’t figure it out. Later that day, I got to thinking, and I realized that this * is not the pound key, this is #.
Wow, real men of genius, anyone? I tried pressing the correct key, and it worked on my first try. All because I forgot which button was the pound key.

I called them back and told them that it “just started working.” I told that whatever they did worked and they said they were just going to leave it and run, they had obviously spent hours in the national office trying to solve my problem. I felt/feel guilty about it.

Wow, I can laugh at myself because any other emotion would dent my self-esteem.

I beg you to come back to read my blog and try to forgive my complete ineptitude and idiocy about the pound key.

-MJM

No comments:

Post a Comment