Monday, August 2, 2010

Flight Schedule

So I just returned from a little moving trip at college, I was moving out of my admittedly ghetto apartments to a new house that was purchased by my roommate's parents. This will definitely be the best housing arrangement that I've had in any of my four years in school.

While I was setting up the various areas where I will be spending a lot of time, presumably(couch in front of the TV, "My Command Center", and my bed) and it got me thinking.

But as an introduction, I remember when I was 11 or so and read Around the World in 80 Days, and I remember wishing that I could be like the main character, Phileas Fogg, because he had a defined schedule and every day he did the exact same thing at the exact same time. Somehow, that has always been very intriguing and it is is something that I've always planned on replicating, in my own life.

So flash forward 10 years and the reality of being able to regiment my life like Phileas Fogg is so thrilling to me. Yeah, you probably think I should've joined the military. While that might be true, I would like to be the determiner of my own fate.  I want to live by a schedule, as long as its my schedule.

As I was putting my rooms together, I decided to keep them separate, previously(in dorm rooms and the like) the areas had overlapped and my schedule was all over the place.  But this year, things are hopefully going to change. I've scheduled my classes so that they will start about the same time every day and have a built in lunch break and get done at similar times each day. I've separated my living quarters to divide my life up. I know that this is borderline ridiculous given the random nature of classes, homework, extra-curriculars, etc. but I want/need to try.

So, I will be beginning a regimented life on August 30, officially.

I know some of you "free birds", may think I'm crazy but I'll plan on explaining more of my rationale in further posts.

-MJM

No comments:

Post a Comment