Monday, September 6, 2010

Some Things Never Change

I've returned to school, and it has basically taken me until now to get back settled. I apologize for this who came back and checked my blog only to see few, if any, updates. Hopefully things will soon return to normalcy and my desired routine will kick in.


But as I return for this home stretch, I've realized that some things are just set in stone. One of those is tech support.


It is and always seems to be a pain. I learned from my sophomore year, when I had a major issue with my laptop that proved very difficult. I've learned that there is a two tiered method of dealing with these people.


The first level is very cordial, appreciative and overall, just nice. If its a simple fix, they can take care of you. 


The next is when the first level fails, when your "tech" proves incompetent or stupid. (Assuming you know exactly what you want) Begin to be aggressive, speaking precisely so the "tech" can understand what changes need to occur. Also, remember their name and prepare, should you not have success with your primary helper, to ask for their supervisor  and/or where you can file complaints. 


If the latter must occur, you probably need to go in guns a-blazing, aka with your demands prepared. From my way too extensive experience, I've learned that when this technique is employed, rarely will you go away empty handed, the companies make the supervisors fairly powerful so they can appease us clients so that we won't badmouth the company.


The biggest problem with all this is obviously the all-to-common language barrier between American English and Indian English, not hating just stating a fact. Try to overcome that, but seriously outsourcing is killing me. Here is my promise to all of you:


I will not outsource any company or part of a company that I control.


Pretty good deal?, it just makes me frustrated when I have to talk to people about my problems and they are thousands of miles away, so I vow not to make the public suffer as I have.


If you have any additions or need troubleshooting help or a "negotiator", let me know.


-MJM

No comments:

Post a Comment