Monday, September 13, 2010

Head Check

So this past week has definitely been an interesting one. It started off normal enough and it was filled with much excitement as my first intramural game of the semester occurred.


I had an indoor soccer scrimmage on Tuesday and I even went out to buy new gloves for the occasion. Spoiler Alert: I play goalie.  The game was going fairly well, until... I took one to the head, the ol' noggin, my coconut. A quick shot and pass had caught my head turning and I took a soccer ball to my left temple area. 


I figured it probably wasn't good when all my vision went blurry for 30ish seconds and I was forced to hold on to he post. But rest assured they did not score at this point.  I pretty much shook it off (I figured that no immediate swelling, so no problem) by halftime and headed back out and finished the game. I made some pretty sweet stops, not that I can really remember any of them now...


To answer your question, yes a defensive breakdown caused another goal to slip by me, resulting in a 1-2 loss for my team. But it was just a scrimmage, so it won't happen again.


After the post-game sportsmanship ceremony, where everyone congratulates each other on good games, I headed over to the sideline to watch my roommates' team play. Spoiler Alert: They didn't win either.


 I got checked out my the medic at the rec after the game at the insistence of some of my friends, they deduced after the very basic concussion test that I was ok(no concussion), but probably should not go to sleep for a couple of hours. Spoiler Alert: They were wrong.


So after a day and a half of headaches and a few memory lapses(forgetting why I went in a room, forgetting which faucet was hot/cold, forgetting words to songs) and at the persuasion of my mother, I contacted my favorite nurse via my mother only to find that I should probably head to a real doctor in the fairly near future.


So I did,  his diagnosis was a mild concussion but apparently my memory loss concerned him, so he suggested a CT scan on my head region. For the record, I am genetically predisposed to a bad memory(from my dad, not my sister).  I went and had the scan done.


I won't know the results until sometime today, but it didn't bode well when the nurse doing the CT scan told me to lay on my back, and I remember her saying the word 'back', but I proceeded to lay on my stomach. Thats another issue I've had, my mental sharpness/processing is not what it typically is. My usually quick wit has been muddled by poor verbal execution, which is usually a particularly strong skill of mine.


But fear not, general public, I'm still breathing and my other organs seem to be functioning, so I'll probably live. I'll know for sure after I get my CT scan results.


-MJM

2 comments: